- Transform Your Leadership and Management
- High Performance Teams and Solid Relationships.
- Transform Your Life
1. Strength of Character: We all make decisions. All day, every day, both big and small. It is vital to be strong in those moments of choice: to do the right thing! We all know what it is and when we don’t do it, we feel it!… HARD. Stand up and be counted as a leader with integrity.
2. Lead with Vision: Keep the ‘satellite view’ of your business life in the forefront in everything you do.
3. Plan from Roles and Goals: Transformational plans flow from your life roles; entrepreneur, parent, friend etc. The best plans are those with SMART objectives at the top and 3 columns below headed ‘who’ is responsible for doing… ‘what’ and by ‘when’. Plans are useless unless they’re shared continuously with all those involved.
4. Prioritizing Your Time: Makes sure you know and do the high quality and quantity things necessary to be the best you can be. Start every week with a ‘pre-week plan’. 4 steps to this: (1) Review your vision and goals. Plan first things first. (2) Look ahead some months. Anything this week to prepare for future milestones? (3) Diary this week’s events and commitments. Make time for meditation (see principle 11 below). (4) Identify priorities for each role.
6. Build Trust: Make only promises you can keep, and keep them. Be consistent and share your thoughts and feelings. Ask open questions, especially of your own assumptions and stereotypes. Trust is a person to person cycle. You have to give it, in order to get it. Work on being honest, fair and consistent. Ask others for feedback on your performance, and accept it without judgment.
For more on this topic, see our blog post: ‘We are…ALL of US, in the People Business’.
7. Be an Effective Communicator: This begins with listening, authentic, empathic listening. There can be no understanding without it. Always repeat back and test for understanding. Recognize effort and not just success. Master the art of effective feedback. It has to be timely, true, and based on evidence, not hearsay.
8. Innovate Through Imagination: Be sure to use your amazing imagination in every situation. One of the best questions you can ask yourself in every role and task is; ‘what does my best look like?’ When you find yourself focusing on barriers you know you’ve taken your eyes off your goal. Step back and try brainstorming. Allow ideas to incubate and don’t jump on your first thoughts’ bandwagon
9. Accountability: It’s all about taking responsibility and when things don’t go well, learning from our mistakes. We all make them. Exercise control over what is within your sphere of influence. Work out formal relationship agreements with everybody important to you. Break your procrastination habits and follow through on your commitments.
10. Knowledge: Take on board the ideas and perspectives from at least one new source every month. Invest a minimum of 3% of your income in learning. Associate only with people who stimulate and inspire you to be the best you can be.
11. Peace and balance: Assess the balance of 6 facets in your life: physical/emotional, spiritual, financial, intellectual, security/safety, social relationships. Build peace of mind through daily meditation – plan for it pre-weekly. Give yourself a good talking to, by changing your inner dialogue to positive self-affirmations.
12. Persistence: Never give up! And get the habit of ‘one more try’. 9 out of 10 salespeople stop after 4 contacts. But 80% of sales occur after 5 contacts.